The Barn My Father Built…A Video

The reaction I had to experimenting with video for a grad school assignment this week is the same reaction I had when I listened to a record player for the first time. I was a little over two years old, and I’ve been dancing ever since.

I was motivated to select the subject matter I did because I know my father can weave a good story – I have listened to him for 61 years – and the love of a well-woven story is why we who share those stories do what we do.

My dad is 90, which makes the story even better…the tale is time-tested and true, two attributes you will find in most good narratives.

I hope you enjoy, and with some luck, there will be more. This video thing could become a passion ’cause it is way fun.

About Pam Avery Printed

I graduated from the University of Georgia in 1972 with a major in journalism (public relations) and a minor in business (marketing). My experience for the last 40 years includes working in the corporate world (banking), the newspaper industry (advertising design and sales), owning and selling a restaurant, restoring and utilizing several old buildings on the property, teaching private dance and drama lessons for 20 years, free-lance writing for a national textile firm, publishing two children’s books, and ghost writing a book. My last tour of duty before beginning the current chapter was working as a reporter, photographer, and columnist for five weekly community newspapers. And now I teach...media writing at Columbus State University in Columbus Ga. I consider myself very fortunate--I get to be around intelligent, energetic and enthusiastic young people. What a joy. I believe the written word is one of the most powerful tools known to humankind. And now we have the ability to reach millions with a simple click of the mouse. Wow.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Barn My Father Built…A Video

1. C. Lee West says:

Met Curtis Avery Jr. in 1957 after graduating from LaGrange High School. I got a job driving a milk truck for Troup Coop Dairies. The Avery family was probably the biggest produicer of milk for the cooperative at that time…..cleewest

2. I can’t believe that…incredible…when my grandfather drove the old milk truck to LaGrange, that was one of my favorite treats – to e able to tag along. Thanks for sharing. I will pass on to Dad.

3. Renee Clonts says:

I absolutely love the video; what a handsome, articulate gentleman, and what a priceless archive. Amazing that such a facility was built in 40 days – without the tools and equipment of today. The idea that he still so fondly recalls his wedding day is precious. I love the stories of Georgia history…much like the ones we enjoy Roy telling around here. I look forward to you (and Charlie) sharing more video.

-Renee Clonts, Barnes Law Group

• Why thank you Renee…I so appreciate your sharing your thoughts and taking the time to “tune in” – I look forward to sending out more. And thanks for keeping an eye on Sir Charles!!!

4. llewis01 says:

What a great story but even better is hearing you in the background when he was talking about getting married being one of the best days of his life! How great to have this precious memory documented!

5. Sage says:

Keep ’em comin’. One of the best story tellers I know!

6. Frances S. Reeves says:

Incredible father and daughter! So glad I know you both.

7. Jonathan says:

This is a true gem, and I can’t think of a better narrator. I love how he is able to so easily recall minor details, names, and dates about events that took place more than half a century ago. I think you’re on to something here — definitely looking forward to a series of these.

8. Cham says:

Great fun to watch Pam. That was wonderful.

9. Kira says:

Hi Ms Pam, my mom forwarded me this video and I really enjoyed it. Just tonight before this came in I was thinking about easter egg hunts and community suppers. I hope you have a nice weekend, please tell Sage and Charlie that I say hello.

10. Jonathan says:

“He sent me to LaGrange to make a phone call.”. I like to think he came to my grandfather’s house to use the phone after PawPaw came back from the pacific in ’46. I know that’s not the case, but I enjoyed your father’s commentary, especially after recently losing my 95-year-old BFF.